Monday, September 28, 2015

The collectors: Stephanie Reid, UK

When it comes to tattoos, Stephanie is all about bold and colorful. Her collection includes works by some of the best artists in Traditional style tattooing, as well as her "tattoo wish list"--if you're looking for artists for your next tattoo, you'll find a few of the greatest names in this interview. I really loved reading this interview because I could relate to so many things she says, and I hope you all do too.

Back piece by Alex Bage // Works on Stephanie's thighs by Jonathan Reina, Fidjit, Mark McEwan 

"My name is Stephanie Reid, I am 20 years old (turning 21 this year) and I live in Lenzie, just outside of Glasgow, Scotland. I work as a customer service advisor in a call centre.

I have always loved art (despite not being great at it myself!). I could always appreciate it whenever it presented itself. From about the age of 15 my interest in tattooing began. I remember watching television programs about tattoos and the overwhelming effect they could have on people. When I first began getting tattoos, I was always under the influence they should have some sort of meaning, so when people asked me about them I should have some story to tell them. As I learned more about tattooing and got tattooed myself, I learnt this did not always stand so true.

I got my first tattoo on the day of my 18th birthday. At this point I never anticipated over the coming years I would collect them. I got a simplistic line work heart on the inside of my right arm with the phrase "What's mine is yours" in a banner across it. It's certainly a phrase that I live by and, at the time, it was also the easiest way to give me an idea of what being tattooed would feel like without getting anything too big. Looking back now, I could have definitely put a lot more thought into my first tattoo, although I have recently had it re-worked by the original artist, Roberto Poliri, to help it fit in more with the American Traditional style that most of my tattoos hold.  However, at the time, I was in love with it as it was. I couldn't believe I had managed to sit through the appointment and now I had this design on me forever.

A few months later I had started up an Instagram account for the first time and was flooded with inspiration for tattoos. Some of my inspiration I have obtained from the artists I follow on Instagram, however most of the time I'll either pitch an idea to an artist that I have wanted to be tattooed by or pick designs from their flash. Around this time I came across an artist called Kyler Martz and I fell in love with his work. I'd never seen anything like it. His designs are so clever and inventive. Kyler's work was the inspiration for my second tattoo and the beginning of my love for the American Traditional tattoo style.


Works on Stephanie's leg by Rowan Kennedy and Tom Arnison // Lady head by Joe Ellis

All of my tattoos that followed my second piece have been influenced by this style. There is something so timeless about the designs, and they can hold their own even after so many years, though it can still be revamped and stylised to look modern and up to date. I love how bold and colourful all tattoos of the American Traditional style are. I still appreciate black and grey tattoos, but I couldn't imagine not being as colourful as I am! 

I think it is difficult for me to say which tattoo is my favourite as, as cliché as it sounds, I genuinely love them all equally. However, if I had to pick one, it would be the Amund Dietzel design I got from German Canalla. This was my first tattoo I collected from German and since then have been tattooed by him again as I love his style. I absolutely love the placement and it was a design I had been lusting over for quite some time, so I was overwhelmed that I could call his beautiful rendition of the design mine. 


Dietzel lady by German Canalla // Flower by Nick Mayes

I have an extensive list of artists I would love to be tattooed by, but to name a few, I'd be honoured to add pieces by Jemma Jones, Sway, Rich Hadley, Rich Hardy, Hannah Louise Clark, Dane ManciniJoel Madberg, Rachie Rhatklor, Katya Krasnova, Zach Nelligan, Marcos Attwood, James Matthews, Tony Nilsson, Alessandro Turcio and Anna Sandberg to my collection. If I even had the chance to be tattooed by half of these incredible artists, I'd be happy. 

I would love to get another session on my back piece that I have been working with Alex Bage to complete, but at this moment all of my money is going into a holiday. The existing design is very nearly finished and then we are looking to extend it upwards to fill in any little spaces that are left on my back.


Birds by Tom Arnison, Rowan Kennedy and Gre Hale

Being a heavily tattooed lady certainly has attracted some attention, both positive and negative. On one hand I've had tourists approach me from other countries looking to take photos of my tattoos and admire the artwork etched into my very being. On the other hand some people feel it is necessary to sneer and whisper whenever they walk by. This sort of behaviour has not come as a surprise to me. When I first decided to begin my collection, that was a risk I took into consideration, however I then realised if it makes me happy, then why should I worry about what anyone else thinks? I decide to get artwork tattooed because I want to look at it for the rest of my life. I am not subjecting anyone else to do the same, and if they have nothing nice to say about it, then I'd much rather they kept their opinions to themselves. 

I have a telephony based job, so we are not customer facing. In my workplace there are a diverse mixture of staff so, once again, there are people who respect and appreciate the tattoos I have, and others who don't quite understand or agree, but no problems have ever arisen from this in my work. There are many people who are curious and ask the 'typical' questions like "Does it hurt?" and "How much did that cost?". I don't think they realise sometimes how these questions can come across, however most of the time it can be put down to genuine curiosity and I am more than happy to provide answers. 


Tattoos by Tom Arnison and Sam Ricketts

No one in my family has ever been tattooed up until I began collecting. My parents have never really liked the idea of tattoos, so when I came home with my first one, they were not best pleased. Over time they have become more accepting of it, and I am grateful for that. They have accepted that it is something that makes me happy and support me in the decisions I make. I also have a twin sister, Jennifer, who has also been collecting tattoos for about the same time I have. It's great having someone else in my family that is equally as passionate about tattooing and being tattooed as I am. Jennifer is more into traditional Japanese style tattooing and has a very enviable collection in my opinion. Everyone we meet finds it amusing that we love two totally different styles of tattooing, but I like that we are on two different ends of the spectrum. As Jennifer's collection has grown, I have grown more fond of the Japanese artwork often used in tattooing and I have learnt a lot about the history of it.

I consider myself lucky when it comes down to relationships that my tattoos have never held me back. My boyfriend has embraced my tattoos and accepts that they are a part of me. He is very supportive in everything that I do and I am eternally grateful that I have someone as accepting as him by my side. It has even sparked an interest in him as he is now wanting to get tattooed for the first time! However, it's trying to convince his mother that it wasn't my influence that is the tricky part haha! 


Lady heads by Joe Ellis (top), Antonio Roque and Ricardo Contreras (bottom)


I have never been a confident person. The thought of someone taking a photo of me sends me into a blind panic, and a selfie is an once in a blue moon occurrence in my life. Getting tattooed has definitely altered my body confidence. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the way I look, however, when it comes down to my tattoos, I have no shame in showing them off. I am proud of my skin now that I have such wonderful artwork to display. I just won't be stripping down to my undies any time soon! 

Even emotionally I feel more confident than I used to. Sharing these experiences with the incredible artists that I have has made it easier for me to open up to people and I have made some wonderful friends along the way on this journey, all thanks to collecting tattoos. I think it is safe to say I've never met a bad soul in the tattoo community. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly, and I think that has also helped me to become more social and strive to be a better person whom people will actually want to interact with. It is a work in progress, but I'm taking steps in the right direction.

I am so glad that I have got as involved with tattooing as I have. I wouldn't change it for the world. I hope my collection can take me to further corners of the world as I would love to collect some more pieces from people farther from the shores of the UK! There are so many unbelievably talented people out there, and it is just trying to save enough skin for all of them!

Once again I really appreciate your interest in my collection and that you have invited me to share my story along with the many other wonderful ladies you have interviewed. I am honoured to have had this opportunity and I cannot wait to see your blog grow with more interesting stories of our fellow collectors!"

Thank you so much, Stephanie! It is great to have you on my blog! I wish to have a collection as cool as yours one day :)


To see more of Stephanie's collection, follow her on Instagram @sleeptightfistfight

No comments:

Post a Comment