Friday, June 24, 2016

The collectors: Jaime, USA

"Hello! My name is Jaime and I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I do marketing work for a local commercial real estate company and in my free time I really like to make embroidery patches by hand based on tattoo flash. I love this project you’re doing, and the idea behind it. Any platform for women to express themselves is an A+ in my book. Girl power!



When I got my first tattoo I wasn’t super into tattoos, and I always thought they had to have some super personal meaning to them. A little later in life a friend I’d had since middle school (Alex Boyko, who I have about 25 tattoos from now) started making traditional tattoos, and I started getting work by him more and more often. Through him I met my boyfriend, Brandon, who really showed me a whole world of tattooists that I never knew existed. I was instantly hooked on the culture and the community. I would say my love for artwork in general sparked my interest, and the fact that I could collect art from all my favorite artists and keep it with me forever.

My decision to get my first tattoo was very spur of the moment. I was sixteen, and just wanted something. Like I said, I always thought tattoos had to have some personal meaning, and I loved literature and I loved elephants, so I got an elephant calligram. It’s half blasted over now, and will hopefully be fully covered soon. Back then I never thought I’d become a collector, I don’t think I even knew that was something people did. 



Overall view of Jaime's colorful legs

I’ve gotten most of my tattoos in the past three years, and I found out about all the artists I have work by through the internet & through suggestions via Brandon or artists I already have been tattooed by. There is such a strong tattoo community on Instagram, and that has definitely aided me in curating my collection. I normally try to choose a design that I think the artist would specifically enjoy doing. As for placement, I just put them where I have room. As of now I only have tattoos on my legs, save for one on my stomach and one on my back. My arms are bare for the time being. It normally doesn’t take much planning, aside from travel planning.

So far I have tattoos from Josh Adams, Jeremy Ross Armstrong, Mike Aul, Tyler Baker, Eric Von Bartholomaus, Matt Bivetto, Alex Boyko, Kori Brown, Craig Chazen, Greg Christian, Chip Douglas, Cole Dunn, Tomas Garcia, Henry Hablak, Max Kuhn, Akira Latanzio, Amelia Martin, Jen Munford, Eli Quinters, DJ Rose, Robert Ryan, Ivan Soyars, Josh Stephens, Ryan Stout, Frank William, Leo Zulueta, Joe Nickley, and Lowercase J





I would have to say my favorite tattoo is the tribal on my foot done by Leo Zulueta. Leo has the best, most positive energy, just being around him is blissful. He has the best stories to tell. Aside from just getting to enjoy his presence. Spiral Tattoo is also one of the most comfortable shops I’ve ever been in, such a great atmosphere. Close second would be the heart vessel I have from DJ Rose or the sacred heart from Thomas Garcia (it’s really hard to choose ok!!).



Tribal tattoo by Leo Zulueta

At the moment my only planned tattoo is being done in May by Joe Chatt. There are sooo many artists I want tattoos from, some of them being Chad Koeplinger, Chriss Dettmer, Walter Mcdonald, Dawn Cooke, Jeff Zuck, Adam Shrewsbury, Chad Hunt, Josh Mason, Tomek Szumiec, Dan Santoro, Andrew Stickler, Koji Ichimaru, Jared Leathers, Lee Knight, Holly Ellis, Mario Desa, and just wayyy too many more to name!

I get inspiration mostly from tattoo books. I love all the Hardy Marks Publications a lot. Cindy Ray is a huge source of inspiration, anyone who says chest tattoos aren’t feminine need look no further than her to be disproven. I also love looking at all the photos of the tattoo community that Dianne Mansfield posts. She has seen so much and I’m so grateful to have her share that with us all! There are so many influential people in the community.




Being a tattooed woman definitely affects my everyday life, and more so than my tattooed male counterpart. People seem to walk right by him to ask me about my tattoos, to touch them, to ask me about my “tights.” As a woman, society already feels that my body is public property and I feel that the public holds my tattooed body to different standards than men’s. Usually the comments I receive are harmless and positive, and I usually don’t notice dirty looks until Brandon points them out to me. I don’t let it bother me or lead me to cover up. Once a woman came up to me at the grocery store and told me she liked my socks, to which I replied “thank you!”. At work I always wear black tights, but everyone I work with is aware of my collection. I’m constantly asked about them even though nobody sees them. As for my family, my mother isn’t super enthusiastic about my tattoos and is constantly begging that the most recent be the last, but it hasn’t affected our relationship at all. 



The super cool tattoo-inspired embroidery patches made by Jaime

I feel more and more confident in myself each time I get a tattoo. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be confident without my tattoos, but who wouldn’t love looking at beautiful artwork by their favorite artists on themselves every day? 


I would say the thing I love most about tattoos is the people they have led me to meet. I am forever grateful to know the people I have met through collecting, and all of the people I will meet in the future."


Thank you so much, Jaime! I'm so happy to have you on the blog <3

For more, follow Jaime on Instagram @condolore

No comments:

Post a Comment