Thursday, August 27, 2015

The collectors: Erica, 23, USA

Erica is a collector in the purest definition of the word. The list of artists that have tattooed her is impressive, and she has one of the most beautifully put together collections I've ever seen. Also, in this interview she gives some really nice insights about what it is like to be a tattooed lady.


"Like most angsty teenagers approaching 18, I thought tattoos were a way for me to express my individuality. I used Tumblr a lot back then, and really only followed crappy tattoo blogs. I remember checking FuckYeahTattoos every day, thinking it was the best stuff! After I got my first couple tattoos (yikes) is when I actually began to appreciate tattooing as an art form. I started following hundreds of tattooers and just looking at the work they did. 

My first tattoo is pretty bad. It’s a bird coming out of a birdcage upside down on my wrist (cringe). I got it a few weeks before my 18th birthday. My mom actually went with me and got her first tattoo as well! The whole thing was a mess. We went to a shop that my mom’s friend suggested because they would give us a “really good deal”. That should have been my first warning. My second warning should have been the leaking AC unit and cigarette smoke everywhere. The guy who did my tattoo wanted me to draw it for him (bad idea) and then tattooed it straight on from there, wonky lines and all. While he was tattooing me, he kept complaining about how my skin was too soft and the ink was falling out. He told me to come back in a few days for a touch up (people who assume you’re going to need a touch up immediately after tattooing you…not a good sign). He ended up tattooing me again five days later over my scabs. Ouch!

Erica's first tattoo // Tattoo by Alice Carrier

I never really thought about the idea of a collection until recently. After my first horrific tattoo experience, I got another mildly regretful tattoo on my back. That was really the transition from getting tattoos that really “meant” something to me and getting tattoos because I liked them, found them aesthetically pleasing, and reminded me of experiences (traveling for example). My third tattoo I got from Alice Carrier while visiting Portland. 

That was when I really started following tattooers and their work and curating a list of people I wanted to be tattooed by. Even then, I never really considered the idea of collecting tattoos.  I didn’t know collecting was even a thing until I was in tattoo shops and people would say “nice collection”. To me, it was just my body and these tattoos I thought were cool by tattooers I thought were good. I never anticipated others appreciating it as well.

Gorgeous artwork on Erica's legs // Bird by H.B. Nielsen

I’ve let most of my tattoos happen organically without much planning. I usually choose the tattooer first, based largely on opportunity. Like X tattooer is coming into a city that I might be in around the same time. Then I’ll book the appointment and get a feel for what area on my body I want it on, like arms or legs. But mostly it just happens in the moment while I’m talking with the tattooer. For example, I set up an appointment with H.B. Nielsen in New York in April because I thought I’d be there around the same time. I wanted something on my arm, an idea I later narrowed down to a bird. When I got there, he said it would be difficult to fit all the detail in such a small space on my arm. So I said just put it on my ribs! Definitely one of the most spur-of-the-moment decisions I’ve made.

I've got works from Guy Le TatooerJenn SmallMarco TafuriHillary Fisher WhiteAshley LoveJosh StephensMatt CooleyRachel HauerMike AdamsCassandra FrancesChris HoldDusty NealAlice CarrierFrank GrimesAlex ZampirriJason MonroeJack Goks PearceScott MoveFlorian SantusBastien Jean and H.B. Nielsen. Whew!

Guy Le Tatooer working on Erica's thigh piece // Tattoo by Guy Le Tatooer

I’ve gone out of my way to Richmond, VA, Columbus, OH, and to NYC specifically to get tattooed a couple of times. When I got my thigh piece from Guy Le Tatooer, I dove eight hours to New York, got tattooed for five, then drove five hours back home and slept in my car at a rest stop, without even stopping to eat! But for the most part no, getting tattooed is just one part of a larger trip to see and explore a new place. It’s my “souvenir” of sorts. I’ve been tattooed in seven countries so far and I think it’s a great way to remember the trip.

I went on a trip to Paris and London and I was like, oh I should get tattooed! Then I almost booked like 14 appointments not thinking, because there are so many amazing tattooers in Britain and France! I was spoiled for choice. I narrowed it down to 6 appointments in 8 days, including an all day session with Jack Goks in London. I got tattooed for 8 hours. It was insane. But at the time I was like, why not. Before we began he asked how much I wanted to get done that day, and since I was leaving the next day, I had to do all of it! Very unpleasant plane ride back home.


Tattoos Erica got in London by Scott Move and Matt Cooley

Huntress by Jack Goks Pearce done in an 8-hour session

I’ve never worried about if my tattoos look cohesive or not. I’ve had certain feelings, like I want my left arm to be all grey and black and my other arm all color, but beyond that I’ve never thought about my body as one piece. I always joke with my friends that I didn’t realize I had a lot of tattoos until one day it just hit me! Because I see myself as getting one tattoo here, a couple there, maybe two more next month. But it never really occurred to me that I was filling up my skin. Tattoos are very personal to me, so I never stepped outside my body and saw myself as others see me- which is a heavily tattooed lady. Instead I have been getting whatever I want wherever I want. I think it helps that the tattooers I like the most all have similar, complementary styles.

My newest tattoo is always my favorite! But my floral piece by Rachel Hauer on my arm and my thigh piece by Guy Le Tatooer will always have a special place in my heart.


Tattoo by Rachel Hauer
Book by Alex Zampirri // Eagle by Marco Tafuri

Maxime Buchi, Austin Maples, Philip Yarnell, Levi Rivoire and Myra Oh are top of the list of artists I want to be tattooed by. I’ve emailed Maxime about possibly tattooing my butt/lower back while he is visiting Portland in October. I just moved to Oregon so I’m pretty pumped to visit some west coast tattooers.

So far being a tattooed lady hasn’t had too much impact on my daily life. I’m a student in the social sciences and all my tattoos can be hidden with a long sleeve shirt and pants if need be. The main thing is that I get stared at constantly and I get complimented frequently. About 95% of comments are from sweet, genuine people. That always brightens my day. But sometimes people aren’t so nice (particularly the elderly) and make rude comments or touch me inappropriately (mainly by men). That’s when it’s most bothersome. Especially when I get asked the same questions each day, like did it hurt, how much did that cost, how many do you have, etc. It’s exhausting. I think people have a hard time understanding that my tattoos are practically invisible to me, they’re my skin, and so I really don’t think about them until someone brings it up. Though most people mean well, it’s just like, can I please just have my donut without being interrogated? And many questions don’t have an easy answer like my favorite one: “what do they mean?” If I say “nothing,” people get genuinely confused. It has become really easy for me to tell the difference between those who are genuinely interested in tattoos (whom I love to talk to!) and those who are just nosy. With the latter, I just try to be nice and leave as quickly as I can.

The scariest part is when strangers get physical. I’ve had men pull down the back of my dress and grab my arm to roll up my sleeves to get a closer look at my tattoos. Mostly it’s harmless, without ill intentions, but it is always very scary. It’s a bizarre phenomenon that getting tattoos has all but eliminated my privacy in public, where now my body is public space for people to gawk at. My go-to technique is to stare directly back at people until they realize they’ve been staring at me. That usually does the trick.



Tattoos have definitely improved my self esteem. It’s not just about the compliments I get, even though I appreciate them. Getting tattooed has really brought me closer to what I imagine myself as, if that makes sense. The process of tattooing as a whole has also made me think of myself as a stronger woman. Having your skin punctured over and over for hours has cultivated a resolve and inner strength that I never would have had otherwise. Tattooing is equal parts mental and physical for me--yes it’s painful, but it takes more mental strength to continue on and not get off the table and run! After a certain point, once the endorphins and excitement wear off, I really have to go deep inside myself to keep on. That’s something that tattooing has given to me. It also has given me this incredible community of fellow tattooed women to look up to! That has been an incredible source of support and positivity. Being connected with women across the country who have cool tattoos and who think my tattoos are cool has been an incredible and unexpected joy. I really can’t imagine myself without tattoos. I just wouldn’t be me!"



Follow Erica on Instagram @ericaag3 for much more of her ever growing collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment